Critique on Current Advertisements

critique and comments on current and recent advertsisemnts: commericals and print ads, from an advertising students's point of view.

Monday, October 02, 2006

“Man of the Year” wins my vote
During my trip in San Francisco I witnessed a great example of non traditional advertising. Non- Traditional means of advertisement is one of the best ways to be noticed, although the actual product or message may not be amazing, it at least has the shock or buzz factor to fall back on. As some of you know, the movie “Man of the Year”, starring Robin Williams, is coming out. Coincidentally this takes place around the same time as the Elections and the infamous ‘election’ signs found in yards, in windows, and even in the little patches of grass along the sidewalk. I saw this ingenious non traditional advertisement on the sidewalk, in one of those patches of grass,it was one of those plastic signs stuck into the ground. As I walked past I glanced at the sign, at first, I paid no attention to it, but then I recognized Robin Williams face and thought to myself “that doesn’t make sense”. So I stopped looked a bit harder, then realizing it was an advertisement that for ‘that’ movie.
And although I have seen the previews for the movie I really didn’t think much of it. I congratulate the advertising company for their originality, although this would only work for movies that involved someone running for presidency, it therefore works fabulously with this movie. Although there is no ‘call to action’, it has a clear message and it very noticeable, even amongst all the clutter of billboards and other postings. Do you think its effective for cathing one's eye?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home