Critique on Current Advertisements

critique and comments on current and recent advertsisemnts: commericals and print ads, from an advertising students's point of view.

Monday, October 02, 2006

The ‘Secret’ is Out
While this is an older campaign, this ‘Are you strong enough to share your secret?’ should technically be a successful advertisement and commercial. For instance, the commercials entail women of all ages, candidly sharing their secrets on TV. The whole message of ‘strong women share their darkest most intimate secrets’ parallels the overall message of demonstrating the strength of the deodorant. Like I said this should technically work, but for me, the last one that I was so unfortunate to encounter, failed miserably. In fact, those commercials quite scared me. The execution was all wrong; in one, the women were crying so much I couldn’t even understand what they were saying. I am a woman, and i think I should, at the very least, be able to understand the 'crying language', but they just looked psychotic to me, I can’t even imagine what a man would think. This portrayal just reinforces the stereotype that women can be blubbering idiots, we probably shouldn't reinforce that. I didn’t think of strength when I saw this, I just through 'how could somebody okay the airing of this massacre?' This in no way enhanced the message, I think its time for a change in adverting campaign department. Has anyone else seen this monstrosity?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your so right. Mes see those commercials and think "Oh GOD". Do the women in those commercials HAVE to start crying and snuggling up to eachother???

6:15 PM  
Blogger SophieRose said...

I definitely agree with this one. I dont understand why this idea of a "secret" would even occur to them as good marketing. Its corny and makes nothing stand out about the product itself. PROPS to ya on this one.

1:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YES I agree with this one as well. Advertisers are beginning to attempt new techniques with fear tactics and stuff like that because traditional marketing isn't working like it previously has. Personally, a couple of these commercials really deter me away like the VW commercials which try and demonstrate how great their air bags work through extremely graphic and violent accidents. The commercials really don't do it for me and a lot of these companies are starting to try things like that.

1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home